Stop!

I actually decided to take my own advice quite literally.
So on my way to work I stopped the car next to this small river, which I cross every day on my way.
I started to walk bushy track, that was following the river.
The place weren't magical or exceptionally interesting, but I was smiling.
Just being outside. For stopping.

The river is called Vaiskojoki

I found a lot of beautiful plants by the river and nearby swamp.

Maariankämmekkä or Heath spotted-orchid (Dactylorhiza maculata) is actually very common in the north, and yet it stands out from the other vegetation as an exotic Orchid family member.


 Suopursu or Wild rosemary (Rhododendron tomentosum) is one of my favorite plants. I love the strong smell which always welcome me when entering to a swamp.


Metsätähti or Arctic starflower ( Trientalis europaea) is surprisingly common here in the north. I think it's really beautiful. 


Mesimarja or Arctic raspberry (Rubus arcticus) is also common in the north. This also surprised me, as living in the south I found it or Arctic starflower only rarely.


While sitting on a tree trunk and watching the view, this little fellow started to fly around me from branch to branch. It came really close and then backed again. For a moment I wondered the sudden interest on me, but then I realized, that around me was huge amounts of mosquitos trying to find a piece of bare skin. The little bird wanted to have easy dinner, but it wasn't quite brave enough to come close to me to catch some. I tried to be still, but eventually I had to give up and move, as the mosquitos started get more aggressive towards me. 

I came to conclusion, that the bird is most likely Lapinuunilintu or Arctic warbler (Phylloscopus borealis). It is not too common here is Scandinavia. My other option was Idänuunilintu or Greenish warbler (Phylloscopus trochiloides), but this would be even more rare sight, because it should not be seen this far north.


My adventure lasted maybe 30 minutes, but I felt my energy levels full filled, as I continued my way to work.




Kommentit

Tämän blogin suosituimmat tekstit

Giilavárri - Se joka menee ylös, on sen myös tultava alas

Pyhä-Nattanen

Pallas - The story of bravery in a story where things went horribly wrong