Treasures of Kiimalaki

Here is some of discoveries from Kiimalaki, Kaarestunturi.
Same as with Sattasvaara,
I wanted to separate them in to their own blog writing.
As I have been trying not to make these writings too long!

I manage again find some Palleroporonjäkälä (Cladonia stellaris), which like wikipedia says is an important lichen for reindeers to eat in wintertime. Now days though when there is too many reindeers, you can't find this lichen anywhere else, but the places which are so rocky and deep, that reindeers can't go there. I'm always so happy to see this little guy. Back in Eastern-Finland we had this a lot everywhere, but there is no reindeers so no wander why.


I found also from the top of the hill a place where a lightning had struck.


And then this guy. For me it little bit looks like a dragon's head with big mustaches,
like with the Chinese dragon.

The most interesting thing I found though, was this weird piece of bone. It was super light, so I thought it had to be from a bird, but I couldn't figure out where in the bird would be that kind of bone. 
So I took it with me.

Back home I manage to solve the case.
The bone was actually from a bird and it's called the bird keel bone (köliluu).
The keel bone is the extension of the breastbone and the muscles that are used for flying are attach to the keel bone. This makes wings more strong to flying.


How cool is this!
Now again I know something new.
And I have a new weird piece of bone at my house.
Which i have several already.

But my weird fixation to bones and skulls i thank my aunt, who had in her living room a big glass cabinet full of human skulls. Not real, of course, but she had collected them from all over the world. I remember sitting by that cabinet and admiring them. One of them was super authentic and I remember always wondering if that one was real.

Kommentit

Tämän blogin suosituimmat tekstit

Giilavárri - Se joka menee ylös, on sen myös tultava alas

Pyhä-Nattanen

Pallas - The story of bravery in a story where things went horribly wrong