Treasures of Sattasvaara


Our adventure to Sattasvaara hill was full of little wonders.
It is wonderful to keep up crouching by interesting plants and weird mushrooms and rocks.
Touch different kind of things you found.
We are never too old for that!

The terrain was super rocky, like most of the places here in Lapland. But I like it.
And that also means here is a lot of different kind of rocks. Like in pic below!


Magnetiitti or magnetite (Fe3O4) is a rock-mineral and one of the main iron ores. Like the name refers, it is magnetic and I actually made a little experiment at home with a magnet from my fridge and a little piece of rock I took home. I could feel little pull between the magnet and the rock. I showed this to my geologist friend and he told me, that the blue and violet color comes from erosion by oxygen and water. So this one here is actually a rusty magnetite. How cool is this!


Kalliokynsimö or Norwegian whitlow grass (Draba norwegica). Whitlow grasses (which are actually not grasses) are widely common in north and there is several different species of them. They are also a bit tricky to tell apart from each other, so this one also could be some other whitlow grass too.
I'm not an expert, yet.


Leafs of Mesimarja or Arctic rasberry (Rubus arcticus) with a beautiful purple out border.


Vanamo or Twin flower (Linnaea borealis) has always been one of my favorite. When it flowers it grows little pink bells in pairs. They reach straight up like little street lights. Other time of the year little round paired leafs crawl on the rocks and mosh.


Can you spot the spider camouflaging on the pine tree trunk? My best guess about the specie is Nopsajalka-hämähäkki or Philodromid crab spider (Philodromus). More accurate guess would be Tuohinopsajalka (Philodromus margaritatus). But this is totally guessing. I know nothing about spiders. But I like them. I think they are fascinating.
My adventure partner didn't appreciate, but rather was screaming behind my back.



Kommentit

Tämän blogin suosituimmat tekstit

Giilavárri - Se joka menee ylös, on sen myös tultava alas

Pyhä-Nattanen

Pallas - The story of bravery in a story where things went horribly wrong