Luosto Backcountry

"Why go further into the sea for fish?"


We had a lot of expectations from our adventure.
As it was our only common day off during seemingly a long time period.
We bought one-way tickets to the top, as always.
I was happy I didn't need to stay on the slopes today either.

The lift station was packed with Finnish winter holiday tourists.
We heard one of the staff members guiding a group of tourist
where they would find the best powder near the lifts.

That was our usual spot.
But obviously not today.
There wouldn't be too much powder left.


So we took a risk.
And would head out to the more open areas of Luosto.
There would be steeper hill sides
and the snow would be more exposed to the wind and sun.
And there would be a higher risk of avalanche.

This would be definitely an adventure.


Arriving to the far back side of Luosto,
the wind was hard and sun was warming our skin.
The view was spectacular.
This was going to be a good day.


We pick up decent looking line down
and started one at the time slide down the hill.
The first ride was most exciting.
As we couldn't see all the way down
and we didn't know the condition of the snow.


At the beginning  the slope was super steep and more hard snow.
But when I got lower I made an amazing discovery.
On the open field, still steep enough,
the snow was perfect.

I let go from all of my doubts and just let it go.
I snowboard as fast as I dared.
The snow allowed me to do perfect turns.
I was laughing out loud.
This was the thing why I loved this so much.


Down of the hill my adventure partner said,
"it was ok, but no powder".

I was looking at him,
"didn't you notice??"
It was just like on the mountains of Norway!
The open field,
the light cover on the snow,
as sun is melting and wind freezing it,
but so soft, that it allows you surf down.

I could see his eyes lightening up,
when he realized what we had here.

We both looked up the empty field
where was only two tracks from us.
The whole field was on our private use,
as not many other would end up here today.


On total we went up six times.
That was more than what I had done before at ones.
And I loved it.


It had been too long time sense my last trip to Norway.
And now,
Norway had come to me for this one day.
I couldn't be happier.
I loved my way of life more than ever.

And after all.
Why go further into the sea for fish?


Last rides down we did when the sun started to set.
My legs were shore and I was tired.
But I didn't mind too much.
This was totally worth it.


When we last time reached the top,
the wind had taken a new level.
It started to feel like a storm.
And as the light was fading out too,
it was time to go back.
Lucky for us,
the wind was blowing behind us,
so it was nicely, but not so gently,
pushing us forward.


After reaching back to the Luosto village,
the hamburger in the hotel restaurant tasted heavenly.


As last words from this trip,
I want to remind,
that at the moment the avalanche risk
at Pyhä-Luosto area is quite high.
So please make some research about the area
before heading out there.
Also you should have knowledge about the snow safety
and proper equipments with you.

An adventurer always knows where she is getting into.

Kommentit

Tämän blogin suosituimmat tekstit

Giilavárri - Se joka menee ylös, on sen myös tultava alas

Pyhä-Nattanen

Pallas - The story of bravery in a story where things went horribly wrong