Backyard Adventures


For a some time now I have had this idea
to write about the backyard adventures.
How people too often want to travel far away
to experience exotic things,
which they feel they can value.
So they can have a feeling of getting something better
(than ordinary) out of their life.

Now, due the exceptional times we are living,
it feels like there wouldn't be better time for this topic.


I collected here some pictures from my backyard adventures.
And don't get me wrong.
Some of the pics are literally from my backyard,
but all of them are from my hometown,
as I count my hometown and it's forests as my backyard.


I have said it already before
and will say it again.

Why go further into the sea for fish?

Sure it is sometime nice to see exotic places.
To have some perspective.
To experience the high mountains
and moist fertile forests,
which we don't have here in Finland.

But all this fuss about foreign places,
makes us too often undervalue the things we have here,
right on our own backyard.
The things people from those places,
we keep so valuable and exotic,
will travel to see.

Now, when we are for bitten to travel far,
it is time to get to know near.


This idea of near by adventures,
or backyard adventures,
is the thing that makes one an adventurer.

Like me,
I like to consider myself as an adventurer.
But I don't have money, time nor courage
to travel around the world alone all the time,
like those cool female adventurers of 19th century.
Nor now days I need to escape the narrative of female image
of the "civilize" world as they needed
for being able to live as they wanted.

I can be an adventurer here, at home.
And with child like amazement
explore all the small wonders around me.


Of course it some times annoys me,
that I don't have a choice at the moment.
But I will do my best,
to make it my choice.
I will choose to enjoy the opportunities
my hometown is offering to me.


 What about if your backyard is cooler than mine?

Sure it will be easier these days to be
a wild adventurer than an urban adventurer.
At least first one has more space to wonder around.

But so it would be anyway.
People in bigger cities live there,
because they like to have others around them,
the beating heart of everything happening.
The countless possibilities in ones reach.


But now,
when the beating heart of city has stopped.
And the people around you are a threat for your health,
it's all upside down.

And now,
all the other stuff gone,
people has turned their attention back to the nature.
To the forests and parks.

And what do people do.
They envy those with more nature around them.
So much, that it has come questionable
to post pics about nature to the social media,
as somebody might feel bad about it.


Especially this subject has come out now
with the situation of snow
or lack of snow.

As Southern Finland has no snow
and here in Lapland is so much snow,
that it is actually limiting your opportunities for an adventure.


Yesterday I had this cool idea to go for explore this hillside near by.
Finally I ended up driving for two hours
in narrow poorly maintained roads
and couldn't even get near of the destination
as I couldn't park my car anywhere because of the snow.

Ending up eating my sandwich and thermos tea
on the front porch of some ones summer house's collapsed sauna building
 was kind of anticlimax for my adventure.

But hey,
it is sometimes like this.
Not every adventure can be mind a blowing experience.


 By focusing to the things you have near you,
the opportunities you have there,
just because you live where you live,
finding out all the cool things,
wondering your near by forest with your eyes open,
instead of envying after what somebody else has on their backyard,
will definitely make life ( and this lock down) easier.

This way you won't miss a year from your life
waiting for better times.
But rather make this one,
a new chapter of your adventures.

  
Take care.
And embrace your backyard.


Kommentit

Tämän blogin suosituimmat tekstit

Giilavárri - Se joka menee ylös, on sen myös tultava alas

Pyhä-Nattanen

Pallas - The story of bravery in a story where things went horribly wrong