Hirviäkuru by snowshoes


In these times of isolation and uncertainty,
the social contacts we can have,
come more valuable.

I feel, that one can't survive without any.
Sure you can phone your sister
the other end of the country,
or Whatsapp your friends around the globe.

But it can't give the same,
as a shared cup of tea.


As many other,
I have minimized my social contacts.
And I have come more grateful for them.
And for, that it is still possible for us to go outside
to share that cup of tea.

And laugh away all the agony of the world situation.


This time
me and my most dear French friend
went to explore Hirviäkuru canyon at Pittiövaara hill.

I have been here many times
as the place is literally on my backyard,
but still
this was my first time down in the canyon at winter time.


The snow cover made everything look totally different.
We wondered everything around us.
The sun shining on the spring snow,
signs of Arctic grouse take off from the snow
and building a snow shelter to sleep.





As we walked deeper in to the canyon,
the rocky walls start to grow taller and taller both side of us.

I love the feeling,
when you are on the highest top
or down at the deepest bottom.
The feeling of how small I am.
The thought comforts me.



Finally we arrive at the foot
of the biggest rock wall of the canyon.
The rock climbing wall of Hirviäkuru.


As the climbing gym is closed at the moment.
This was one of our goals of the day.
To come and see how frosty the rock is.


Turns out,
the face is totally clear from ice and snow.
The spring sun has dried it up.
Perfect.

We were thrilled.
Now we only need a sunny spring day
and temperature above zero degree.
And we can start climbing again.


We have a nice picnic
leaning against the rock,
which has collected the warmth of the northern sun.
Eating sandwiches and planning all the things we will do,
when the snow melts away.
Dreaming of the new adventures yet to come.

We hear some voices up from the canyon edge.
Somebody throws a plastic trash in to the canyon.
My French friend yells at them.
Me and my Finnish personality are trying to hide in the melting snow.
Please don't draw attention to us.


Little later we hear them coming down to canyon
couple hundred meters from us.
"Should we go before they come here?"
I smile.
"Yes we should."

Seems like after all
there is some of the Finnish mentality in her too.



Kommentit

Tämän blogin suosituimmat tekstit

Giilavárri - Se joka menee ylös, on sen myös tultava alas

Pyhä-Nattanen

Pallas - The story of bravery in a story where things went horribly wrong