Savonmailla - A Journey To The Bygones


I had some difficulties to decide
how to write this story.
And I'm still struggling to
find the right words to describe
the feelings I'm going through.

After a long time
I made a road trip to Savo.
This beautiful lake side paradise of Finland,
where I had spend almost two decades of my life.
Experiencing the growing pains of
the late childhood and beginning of the adulthood.

Visiting there has always
made me feel little bit uneasy,
but the company of my friends 
has made it always more easy.

This time though,
the power of already
forgotten emotions
took me as a surprise.


I was truly exited about the trip.
I made travel plans,
reading the maps
and finding information
about cool nature locations.

My plan was to drive smaller roads
and stop by at interesting and new places.

In reality,
I was tired from driving,
darkness was falling down way too quickly,
car was nice and warm,
the road was still long ahead of me
and I would have liked to be there already.

The more South I drove,
the more uneasy I felt.
The old darkness was creeping
at the corners of my mind.
Bravely I push it away.
I decided it doesn't concern me today.


On the way South I stopped at
 Orinoron rotko canyon.

The place has been sacred
and mythical place in the bygone times.
The original name of the place
has been Orkonoro,
which means something like
"a deep rift which has water or spring at the bottom".
So basically it means "a wet crack".

orko: notkelma, alho, jyrkkä-äyräinen syvänne
noro: vetinen notkelma, pieni puro

Later,
somewhere in 1900s,
the name has changed to Orinoro.
(Stallion's watery canyon or wet crack)

The tale has it,
that there would have been
two stallion fighting each other
and one or two of them
would have been fallen into the canyon.
Or then there would have been
a Russian general,
whom would have fallen into the canyon
with his stallion.

Any case there has been a stallion involved.
Probably. Most likely.


Even though it was interesting
to read about the etymology of the place
and the canyon was beautiful
with the tall rock walls,
I didn't get as much out of the visit,
as I had hoped.


From the parking place
were 1 km walk to the canyon.
The path was about 2 metres wide
and there was yellow trail marks painted
in every other tree on the way,
so getting lost on the way to the canyon
would had been impossible task,
even if one would have tried really hard.


The whole canyon bottom had been
covered with wooden path.
Which I get it,
is important for protecting
the environment from the visitors,
but which gives the place
really touristic vibe.

And you could easily see
the result of visitors
taking side steps from the path,
as there was no mosh or anything growing
where people had walked.
Just brown dead soil.

As I'm standing in the bottom of the canyon,
watching the smooth rock walls
rising both side of me.
I try to feel the place,
to have something,
even faint glimpse
of something.

I get a feeling,
that the real Orkonoro
has been wear out.
That if there is still something there,
it has been hidden so deep,
that no human can access to it.
And this is how nature is protecting it self.

At these kind of popular sites,
I can't help thinking where goes
the right balance?
It is truly important,
that we all can get to the nature,
for our own well being
and as there is so many of us,
it is impossible to always go somewhere
were no one else has been.

I leave the canyon
whispering silent apologies
for being one of the many.


Next five days
I would spend at my old hoods.
The weather was grey and rainy,
but we did try to make our best going outdoors.

I made a day trip with my girls
to Tervolankirkko (Tervola Church).

And no,
I'm not talking about
those two Christian churches
in the Tervola village,
which where build in 1680s and 1860s.

I'm talking about
the one of the biggest boulders
in the whole Finland.


I found only little information
about the place.
There was one side mention,
that the place would have been
a church of elf at the bygone days.

And this might be true.
Usually this kind of mythical places
were sacred.
And it was believed,
that elf and spirits lived there.

Common believing has also been,
that these kind of huge rock formations
are build by ancient giants (Jatuli, Jotunn),
whom lived here before us.

I mean,
how else would huge boulder
end up in the middle of a forest,
far away from other rocks?


In any case,
the place was huge!
There was cracks and caves
and huge boulders leaning to each other.

Originally there has been
just one so huge boulder,
that I can't even picture
that big boulder in my mind.
And with erosion and time passing,
it has been shattered into smaller pieces,
which are still huge by the way.


First thing we see,
when arriving to the boulder,
is a fire place with benches
in the largest peak cave.
It looks kinda cozy
and nice place for a picnic.

The place is about 100 meter
from the dirt road
and it is listed on the public
nature sites website,
so it wasn't surprise
there has been a lot of visitors here too.

Here the atmosphere
is warm and welcoming.
The church is inviting us
to play and climb in it's halls.


Unfortunately due the rain,
the rocks are super slippery
and we need to move around really carefully.
I couldn't climb all the way to the top,
as I would have wanted,
but I climbed as high as it felt safe.


The church was a maze.
When we just thought,
we had seen the place,
would we find a new
crack or cave.
And suddenly we were back
there where we had been
a half a hour ago.
And no idea how that happened.


For the few hours
we spend at the church,
I totally forgot to think
about the feeling of uneasiness,
which had been growing day by day.

But the last morning changed everything.

The darkness
I had pushed away from my mind,
found it's way to my consciousness
and forced me to look straight at it.

The darkness and distress
of my mind had turned
into a physical feelings.

There I was
alone,
shaking and crying,
feeling how the old darkness,
which I thought I had already left behind me,
billowed over me.

In my mind I knew,
this was an old feeling,
echoes from the past
and it didn't have any reason to be
here and now.


I'm truly grateful for my friends,
whom were there then
and were there now.

After shared cup of coffee
and some hugs,
I was ready for the last adventure
before starting my journey towards North.


We headed to
one of the many
Pirunkikko (Devil's Church)
named places at Saimaa lake area.
And I can tell you,
there is many of them there.


I had read about
this Pirunkirkko,
which has a big cave
and it is located near the water.

The Saimaa seals has habit to visit the cave
and hanging out in there,
they have been making sounds,
that for people
has sounded like the Devil itself
would have been ranting there.

So naturally the locals have
stayed the hell away from there.

Sense knowing the story,
I have been wanting to visit the place.


Afterwards it turned out,
we visited a wrong Pirunkirkko.

Of course we did.

Back home I checked the book
and turned out that the right Pirunkirkko
was on a island in the middle of lake Saimaa.

But, I didn't know this
back when we were there
and anyhow,
this Pirunkirkko was also
super awesome place.

And there was caves too.


The place we visited was
Vahtivuoren Pirunkirkko
(Devil's Church of the Watch Mountain)

I managed to find some old article about the place.
According to the article,
it was believed,
that the imps held services in the cave.


The article said,
the crack cave is located
at the foot of the cliff
and  has been formed,
when the vertical cracks in the rock
has been opening.
And when the lake water
is at normal level,
there is one meter of water in the cave.


We did find two caves.
The bigger cave had little water on the bottom
of the lowest chambers,
but fortunately most of the cave was dry.


I spend a long time in there.
The cave turned out to be huge,
not that you could stand there,
but it was more like
a maze of small chambers
connected to each other.

There was also so many
branches with beaver's biting marks,
that I was expecting
an angry beaver
attacking me any time
from one of those dark chambers.


The whole Pirunkirkko
was consisting smaller and higher
cliffs rising from the lake.
It might have been
really beautiful see the cliffs
from the lake.

It took us some time
to find a doable way down
and to the caves.


By the narrow shore,
between the cliff and the lake,
it looked like the beavers
had been biting
little bit from all of the trees.
So we made sure
not to steady our self
by leaning on to the trees.


By the shore we found also
a cool stone pillar.
It was standing high and tall,
but the root of it
was crumbling into our hands.
It is highly possible,
the stone pillar won't
see many winters
before it dives into the lake.


The smaller cave I visited,
was super weird place.
It was just by the water
and there was so much bird poop,
that I had difficulties to breath
because of the stinking smell.

But the oddest thing
was the shine under the water
at the dark end of the cave.

It looked like
it would be sunny and bright,
warm summer day
on the other side of the cave.

When I came out of the cave,
it was still snowing
and the sun had started to set
and the light was dim.

This made me feel like,
the cave could have been
a gate to somewhere else.
Somewhere with a different weather.
To a parallel universe.

I would have been definitely
discovering the gate more closely,
maybe even try to go through it,
if it wouldn't have been for the smell
that made me escape from the cave too soon.


On the long way home,
I stopped to spend some fun and loving
moments with my friends.
And especially after this crazy year
and avoiding everything,
it felt good and important
to laugh, hug and dance.
To live.

During the several hours in the car,
as the darkness out side thickened,
the darkness in my mind
turned into a faint shadows
to the edges of my consciousness.

I felt tired,
but fortunate for being able to
find these feelings,
whom wanted to be seen,
inside of me.

And for been able to accept their existence.

Kommentit

Tämän blogin suosituimmat tekstit

Giilavárri - Se joka menee ylös, on sen myös tultava alas

Pyhä-Nattanen

Pallas - The story of bravery in a story where things went horribly wrong