Nuolikuru - The Sound of Silence

Nuolikuru, Lapland


The general powerlessness,
which had been the theme
for my autumn days,
was again giving me "good" advices
to just stay home and not see anybody.
Or was it our government's voice?
Sometimes I'm not sure anymore.


Luckily for me I had promised
to go for a day adventure to
Nuolikuru canyon (Arrow Canyon)
with my dear French Friend.


We start to drive when it was still dark
and arrived to the canyon
just when the darkness
start to give away for the daylight.

The air was cold
and I felt little bit chilly.
The autumn weather had staid mild
and there had not been proper frozen days yet.
But the snow had finally come back
after a month of absence.
Hopefully for good this time.


Everything looked so much more
brighter and lighter with the snow.
We both could feel our minds and
bodies growing more lighter and relaxed
the minute we entered to the forest.


The pure joy of the fresh snow took us over.
We climbed on the rocks,
slide down the hill sides on our butts
and tried to hit each other with snowballs.


We climbed on the steep hill
called Nuolikirkko (Arrow Church),
which had marked to a map
as an old sacrifice place
or worship place.


The view on top of the hill was amazing.
I could easily see why people had
climbed here to be with their gods.
The old mythical energy was still there.
We could sense it on the air
and in the old stones.

We left some offerings
on the flat wide rock for the forest spirits
and thanked the forest gods for the experience.


I remembered again how I felt
five years ago,
when I first time came to stay in the North.
It surprised me then
how easily I could feel myself home.

For the first time in my life,
I could feel the heart strong feeling
of belonging to somewhere.

The feeling,
that I had finally,
after many years of searching
and wondering in the darkness
without any clue where to go,
found a place for me.

It was all along here,
where I can stand on the hill
and see the endless wilderness
spreading to every direction.
Where I can feel the open sky above me,
the old forest spirits around me.
Where I can breath easily,
feel the presence of nature
and the absence of other human beings.

Here,
where I can hear the sound of silence.


I smile
and take a deep breath of fresh cold air.
This is the feeling of most close to a freedom,
that I have ever known.


Kommentit

Tämän blogin suosituimmat tekstit

Giilavárri - Se joka menee ylös, on sen myös tultava alas

Pyhä-Nattanen

Pallas - The story of bravery in a story where things went horribly wrong